Free Budget Classes
Get help with managing your money by attending one or more free classes offered by MidWestOne Bank and Operation HELP. You will learn how to create a budget, better understand your spending habits, steps needed to stay within your budget, and overall how to meet your financial goals. In addition, we offer one on one review of your budget as needed or requested. Classes are one hour and will be held at MidWestOne Bank, located at 404 Co Rd UU (corner of Vine and Carmichael) in Hudson. Take control of your money, reduce your stress, and feel good about your finances! Call Operation HELP at 715-386-0881 to sign up or sign up below.
Mary Blanchard and Barb Van Loenen, Operation HELP board members, were interviewed last year by Jamie Johnson of the Western Wisconsin Journal to explain the services provided for our clients. Click HERE to watch this video.
Here is more info on the ALICE study:
- 42% of Wisconsin households can’t afford the basics of housing, food, health care, child care, and transportation, despite working.
- There are nearly 670,922 ALICE households in Wisconsin, more than double the official poverty rate. Together, with those in poverty, there are 960,131 households unable to make ends meet in Wisconsin.
- More than two-thirds of Wisconsin’s municipalities have more than 30 percent of households unable to afford life’s basic necessities.
- 65% of all jobs in Wisconsin pay less than $20 an hour and most pay less than $15 an hour. The jobs forecast shows low-paying jobs dominating the economy into the future.
- Despite working and receiving financial supports, ALICE reports a 21% gap in the income needed to be able to survive and afford the basics in WI.
Operation HELP received funding for a “Diaper Bank” for all residents of St. Croix County earlier this year. Once a month families in St. Croix County can come to the Operation HELP office and receive 80 – 100 diapers for each child.