Diaper Drive October 5 – 12
Unfortunately 29% of St. Croix county does not make enough money to meet basic needs. Many of these parents have to choose between diapers and food — with food generally winning. Please help support Operation Help’s mission by donating to a Diaper Bank in St. Croix County started by Sheri and Heather. Please drop off diapers and wipes at either of their homes below between now and Thursday, October 12 at 6pm:
♥ 1034 Sommers St N, Hudson WI 54016
♥ 15 Founders Green, Hudson WI 54016
Charity Drive at First National Community Bank
First national Community Bank charity drive for Operation HELP is now under way at the Hudson, Somerset and New Richmond offices for the rest of October.
In addition Gibby’s Lanes in New Richmond will donate $1 for every large pizza ordered between now and the end of October in coordination with this campaign!
Amazing Music at Bethel Lutheran
In case you missed it, on Friday September 15th a benefit concert for Operation Help was held at Bethel Highlands in Hudson. The concert was a huge success with three extremely talented bands: Hot Under the Collar, Buck Tucker Band, and the New Song Band. We especially want to say “Thank You” to these talented musicians for donating their time and music for Operation Help!
We also want to extend our sincere gratitude to everyone that bought tickets and generously donated again during the evening for this cause. Over 300 people attended the concert, and because of the donations we will be able to help many more struggling working people and families who have an emergency and need a helping hand in our community!
Be sure to join us at the concert next year as it is an annual event!
Thank you to everyone who participated in the fundraising dinner at Bayport BBQ on Wednesday October 4th! All proceeds will benefit Operation Help.
Mary Blanchard and Barb Van Loenen, Operation HELP board members, were interviewed earlier this year by Jamie Johnson of the Western Wisconsin Journal to explain the services provided for our clients. Click HERE to watch this video.
Here is more info on the ALICE study:
- 42% of Wisconsin households can’t afford the basics of housing, food, health care, child care, and transportation, despite working.
- There are nearly 670,922 ALICE households in Wisconsin, more than double the official poverty rate. Together, with those in poverty, there are 960,131 households unable to make ends meet in Wisconsin.
- More than two-thirds of Wisconsin’s municipalities have more than 30 percent of households unable to afford life’s basic necessities.
- 65% of all jobs in Wisconsin pay less than $20 an hour and most pay less than $15 an hour. The jobs forecast shows low-paying jobs dominating the economy into the future.
- Despite working and receiving financial supports, ALICE reports a 21% gap in the income needed to be able to survive and afford the basics in WI.
New Diaper Program
Operation HELP received funding to test being a “Diaper Bank” for all residents of St. Croix County starting ealier this year. Once a month families in St. Croix County can come to the Operation HELP office and receive 80 – 100 diapers for each child.